Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Weekly Update

What have I been up to?

Well I haven't been painting if that's what you may be asking.

Have I done anything?

Nothing that I find worthy of seeking accolades for.

Finally bit the bullet and purchased some more Dragyri for Dark Age.  May get them this week.

Visited my local second hand bookshop.  Stripped them of some more authors I remember reading in my youth.  As you may guess I'm spending more and more of my time in the past.  I guess I'm finding comfort in those things that made me happy.  Reading certainly falls into that category.  It also means I don't have to raise a paint brush and do any serious work.

I really should update my book database more regularly.  I had fallen behind the work and had to enter 61 new titles to the collection.  It now stands at 1148 novels.  I really must invest in more bookshelves, but that would stop be from buying more books or figures or games...

The school year is almost finished.  My son has his grade 11 exam block next and following week, then he's on hols.  So my internet connection speed will drop, my electricity bill will go up.  That's all it's doing now, going up and up with no stopping.  If my children didn't need computers and social networks I think my bill would be considerably less, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

It's interesting.  In my youth entertainment was simple.  There were books, games and the great outdoors.  The only power I needed was for the light to read a book at night.  Games were such that no power was required, except if played at night.  If I were to mention to my children to pick up a book, they look at me as if I've grown a second head.  That so "old school" they tell me. 

I had an interesting conversation with a friend today.  It was about gun laws.  He argued that we should be entitled to own guns.  I disagreed.  I stated that guns are like security screens for your home.  A security screen deters the casual offender. One who might be encouraged to break and enter because there is no security will do so.  If there is security they will pass it by more often than not.  Of course a security system will not deter the professional or the determined.  Gun laws are like that.  If guns are readily available then the casual offender will be tempted by the freedom and can cause harm.  With restrictions you can stop the casual offender, but not the determined from doing harm.  I wonder how many deaths are actually caused by gunshots?  How many people are killed by other devices or tools, say knives?  As I concluded our conversation, I simple stated "each to their own", as I don't believe I swayed him by my arguments.  I of course would not be able to own a gun, and if I did, it would be a danger to myself more than to anyone else.  I have no intention of dying the slow malignant death which is my final fate.

Bah, I getting melancholy again.

So the club is on this Saturday the 12th.  I'm hoping to be there, but am feeling a build up of toxins inside me that may cause me some issues.  I do want to give Leslie a sound thrashing at Dystopian Wars, of which he richly deserves but will more than likely be the reverse.  Optimistic aren't I!

No comments:

Post a Comment