Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A flogging from the french - business as usual

After Andrews stint for the G20 he was all raring to go after a period of inactivity.

It was the day (yesterday 19th) that Brisbane and the surrounding areas copped a severe beating by the weather, flooding, hail and wind.  As usual I got some minor flooding downstairs, which was enough to trigger my depressed mood.

Rolled for table setup and all I can say was that is was crap, and I totally misread what Andrew had in store for me.  Half my army was deployed in a position that I really should not have deployed in.  The other fact that Andrews force this time round had a larger proportion of cavalry than I have previously experienced also threw the cat among the pigeons.

To say I had a defeatist attitude from the very first turn is not an understatement.  My dice were clearly in sympathy with my depressed mood and rolled as badly as expected.  Andrew though was doing very well, his artillery were especially potent this time round, where half of mine were still limbered waiting to get into a better position and the other was blocked for several bounds while cavalry milled about trying to best the other.

Below are pictures of my defeat.  Off to rethink my list, or hope for better terrain placement next week.  I do apologise for the less than brilliant photographs, I've moved my game table into another room and the single light bulb (apposed to the fluoresce) meant the flash was in action.  Hope to solve this issue sometime in the future.

All that cavalry, not what I wanted to see.

The french "centre", less infantry than I usually face.

The farm, under french occupation.

My dismal deployment, expecting Andrew to be cunning and stuff me around.
Lost a considerable amount of troops unable to contribute firepower or threat
to my opponents force.

The death blow.  The reserves arrive, horse artillery and more cavalry.

Pretty much how this side of the board was for the entire battle.
Formed in square, terrified of cavalry.  Slowly blown apart by
artillery.

The cavalry melee that lasted a number of bounds, denying
my artillery the opportunity to target other units.

Prussian squares slowly advancing across the field.

The debacle that was the British.  Artillery not unlimbered, infantry confused,
Dragoons too slow to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment